NOTE: All of our programs are competitive and you may require a higher grade point average (GPA) for admission.
All MSc, MPH, PGD and PhD degrees
Before you submit an online application, please note the minimum admission requirements for consideration into our programs. You must meet these requirements for your application to be considered:
- A baccalaureate degree or its academic equivalent from an academic institution recognized by the University of Alberta with a grade point average of at least 3.0 on most 4 point grading systems or B on most letter grading systems, based on your most recent two years or last 60 credits of full time study (or equivalent) is required.
- A prerequisite for admission is a recent introduction to statistics course. Applicants with prior statistics training may have this prerequisite waived by demonstrating satisfactory knowledge. If you are not sure you meet this requirement, please submit a complete course syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate "Request to have statistics requirement waived".
Preference will be given to those applicants with experience in a public health related field. Check here for more information on What is Public Health?
Before you submit an online application, please note the minimum admission requirements for acceptance into our programs. For your application to be successful to a PhD program:
- You are encouraged to have completed master's-level training.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have demonstrated competence in the application of their discipline to research.
- This includes, for example, completion of master’s thesis, previous research scholarships or fellowship, or a research publication track record.
NOTE: PhD applicants
before submitting your application, you must identify a supervisor from amongst School of Public Health faculty members who agree to supervise your thesis research. For more information on how to get started in this process, visit Selecting Your Supervisor
English Language Proficiency
English is the primary language of instruction and communication at the University of Alberta (except for the Faculté Saint-Jean); proficiency in English is a prerequisite for graduate admission.
For information on the minimum Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research requirements for English language, the ways to demonstrate proficiency, please go to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website.
NOTE: Applicants with qualifications from certain countries and international universities are exempt from English language requirements. See the exemption list on the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research website.
The School of Public Health minimum score on an approved English language proficiency exam are described below:
We are now accepting applications for a September 2014 start date.
For questions about graduate programs, please contact our Education Office:
3-300 Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
11405 - 87 Ave
Edmonton, AB T6G 1C9