The School of Public Health is located on the north campus of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Approved by the University of Alberta Board of Governors in March 2006, the University of Alberta’s School of Public Health was granted accreditation by the U.S. Council on Education for Public Health in October 2012.
Through our graduate programs, interdisciplinary research, and community engagement activities we are promoting health and wellness, protecting health, preventing disease and reducing health disparities across Alberta, Canada and around the world.
Our School at a glance*
We are growing rapidly to meet the demand for relevant research and highly trained leaders in public health.
- Core faculty members – 36
- Administrative and research staff – 187
- Jointly appointed or cross-appointed faculty members – 92
- Postdoctoral fellows – 8
- Graduate students enrolled – about 300
- Student practicum placement hosts in governmental, non-governmental and other organizations - 44
- Graduate research and academic assistantships – over $1 million
- Student scholarships – nearly $750,000
- We have generated more than $50 million in research funding.
- Over $20 million in donations have been directed toward research aimed at improving the health of people.
In a typical year, the School:
- leads or participates in 150+ research projects.
- publishes 175+ peer-reviewed articles in academic journals.
- engages in 200+ knowledge exchange activities designed to link public health research with non-academic users of knowledge
Fast Facts about the University of Alberta
School of Public Health Backgrounder